21 Times Drake Totally Rapped About My Life
Drake, Drizzy, Mr. OVOXO, Champagne Papi, whatever you want to call him, the dude is real. He's been seen as a soft-hearted guy for some of the things he raps about, but what he's really doing is talking about MY life.
I'm now convinced he's been following me around and literally using my life as musical inspiration. Here's why:
1. "All so convinced that you're following your heart, cause your mind don't control what it does sometimes."
Take Care ft. Rihanna
Because even when we're supposed to be logical and use our brains to make decisions, we go with our heart instead, which has turned out to not always be the best path.
2. "Glasses of champagne out on the dance floor. Hangin' with some girls I've never seen before."
We've all had that one breakup that results in getting drunk off of cheap alcohol and taking selfies with randoms in CityBar.
3. "My past behind me like a ponytail."
Right Hand (One of my favorite Drake songs, OMG)
Took me a while to learn to leave the past behind me, but now that I have, I've also realized this statement couldn't be more true. No one wears a ponytail in front of their head.
4. "Maybe I keep movin' forward and they're just stagnant, they ain't movin' at all."
0 to 100
When you realize your friends aren't growing up as fast as you are, or they aren't aiming as high as you are. Well, this is awkward.
5. "Started not to give a f*** and stopped fearing the consequence."
PREACH! Life gets so much easier when you care less about other's opinions. People are going to talk no matter what you do, so you might as well do what YOU want.
6. "Sweat pants, hair tied, chillin' with no make-up on. That's when you're the prettiest, I hope that you don't take it wrong."
Best I Ever Had
Aww, thanks boo!
7. "Crazy how you gotta wait until it's dark out to see who really with you."
How Bout Now
Those "friends" who bailed on you when things got rough, you don't need them. You've got Drake, Drake will listen.
8. "I learned working with the negatives could make for better pictures."
I've learned from my mistakes and having done so I think I'm in the process of creating one hell of a future for myself.
9. "I'm just sayin' you could do better."
Because we need to constantly remind ourselves of this.
10. "One thing bout music, when it hits you feel no pain."
That's some Bob Marley type "ish" right there. You know those moments when you're feeling a mix of every emotion and you just turn some music on, soul-soothing.
11. "Her a** big, she just tryin' to make a four fit."
Man Of The Year
My life in 10 words.
12. "They throw dirt on my name, well that's why they still dig me."
No New Friends
Haters. Haters, everywhere.
13. "Everybody talks and everybody listen, but somehow the truth just always comes up missing."
Say What's Real
Because we all know those people that have more holes in their story than a slice of Swiss cheese.
14. "But I might talk that real if you ask me what I care about."
In our generation, it's all about who cares less, but I'm all for opening up sometimes. I like deep conversations with raw, uncensored thoughts and feelings. It's hard to find people like that these days.
15. "Have you seen me? I'm doing so good."
This speaks for itself.
16. "I got b-tches askin' me about the code for the wi-fi."
Because we're all broke college students and there's nothing worse than getting that, "You've almost reached your data limit," notification.
17. "Seen too much, it's so hard for me to let new people in."
Because no one likes to get hurt over and over again. This society makes it hard to trust anyone.
18. "Never get sloppy drunk, but alcohol is problem solving."
You & The Six
So true, yet probably still horrible advice. I've always thought a solid buzz with a few good friends is the perfect solution to a crappy day.
19. "You gettin' ready so I know we gon' be here awhile."
It takes time to go from drab to fab. Do NOT rush the process.
20. "Don't hit me up when it's good for you."
Ooh, don't do it.
21. "When I look back I might be mad that I gave this attention."
Back to Back
Because even Drake knows, "Ain't nobody got time for that."
So, here's to you, Drake. My inner gangster thanks you. Keep the music coming!
Story written by Morgan Bulliard, a 21 year old Public Relations major at ULL who is all about high fives, fist bumps, and jazz hands. You can find her in the middle of the dance floor. Follow her on Twitter here.