How To Avoid Small Talk
With school back in session on most college campuses, if you wish to avoid the small talk, just follow these simple rules. It will help you avoid conversations you will really don’t want to be part of.
College Humor says that if you follow these simple rules, you will be able to avoid those uncomfortable conversations most of the time.
1. ALWAYS take the stairs!!! The elevator traps you into small talk, and into conversations you really don’t want to be part of.
2. Wear Headphones. Nothing better tells others that you don’t want to converse with them. It shows that you are pre-occupied and have no intention in talkng to them.
3. Know your current events. This allows you to know more than the other person.People will often shy away from conversations with others if they feel that they are not up top their level on a topic(s). Read the newspaper.
4. Don’t pay attention to the weather. People love to talk about the weather. If you show no interest, then they may avoid you all together. Still, you should kind of be aware of the weather so that you know how to dress.
5. Pretend you are on the phone. Simple “Yes” “No” “Uhhh’s” may save you. Enough said.
6. Look Crazy. People do NOT want to engage in a conversation with others if they look out of the norm. Remember, if you are going to play the part, do it to its fullness.