Brown’s Furniture was opened for business in 1939 by Mr. Herbert Brown. The first location to be launched was Opelousas. Stores in Ville Platte, Baton Rouge and Lafayette soon followed, and during the 40’s Wayne Gilmore and R. P. Walker became partners with Mr. Brown.
Flash forward to the year 1962 when 19 year old Jasper Fontenot joined the business as part of the warehouse and sales force. In 1978, after being the top salesman and store manager in Ville Platte, Mr. Fontenot became a partial owner of the business. Now, Mr. Fontenot and his family are the exclusive owners of Brown’s. With 5 stores in business throughout Louisiana, including are Lafayette, Opelousas, Alexandria, Ville Platte and Bunkie, it is not at all unusual to find Mr. Fontenot on the sales floor visiting with customers.