Sand Bag Locations + Information As Acadiana Prepares For Hurricane Isaac [UPDATED]
In preparation of the arrival of Hurricane Isaac, several communities around Acadiana are now offering sand bags to it's residents. We will continue to update you on locations as they become available to us, but as of now, here are the locations we have. If you are in a flood zone or in an area prone to flooding, you may want to take advantage of sand bags being offered in your community. So far, sand bags are being now being offered to citizens in the following communities.
The City of Youngsville has stocked four sand bag locations for it's citizens of. Limit 15 bags each, please.
Bag-Your-own at the city Police Station 304 Fourth (4th) Street
Bag-Your-own the Public Works Building 310 Railroad Avenue
Bag-Your-Own at the Horse Arena across from Farmer’s Bank - 412 Iberia Street (a.k.a. Hwy 92).
The fourth site is at the Youngsville sewer plant 416 Railroad Avenue. This site is reserved for elderly and individuals requiring assistance. There is assistance available until 4:00 PM to help load pre bagged sand into vehicles.
2. CHURCH POINT
Residents will be able to pick up sandbags from the city barn beginning tomorrow morning, Tuesday, at 8:00 A. M. Residents must bag their own bags. Residents are limited to 15 bags per household or business.
3. St. MARTIN PARISH
Beginning today from 1:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m. and on Tuesday from 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. at the following locations:
Upper St. Martin Parish
Ruth Bridge Barn (Ruth Bridge)
North Barn (located on North Barn Road)
South Barn-(located on Capritto Forty Arpent Rd)
Lower St. Martin
**Residents are reminded that they will have to fill the sandbags themselves and are encouraged to bring a shovel to assist them in the process.**
4. ST MARY PARISH
St. Mary Parish is offering sandbags at the Hanson Barn Facility at the Hanson Canal.
Sandbags are located at the Baldwin City Hall in the back of the building, in between the fire station and city hall. This service is only available for residents of Baldwin.
Sandbags available at the City Complex on Iberia Street in Franklin.
Sandbags are available under the bridge on David Drive. Be prepared to bag your own.
Sandbags are available for the city of Patterson at the Taft Street sewer plant. Residents South of the railroad tracks are encouraged to use this service.
5. IBERIA PARISH
The City of New Iberia will have sand bags available to the public from noon until 6 p.m. today. The filled bags will be handed out at 907 Fulton Street. For ease of access and to aid in traffic flow, the City asks that residents approach the facility from the North Street side.
The city is providing sand and bags at City Hall. Residents must fill their own sandbags and they must provide their own shovels.
7. ST. LANDRY PARISH
· Eunice - City Barn, 750 Bobcat Dr. today and Tuesday, 8/28, 10am - 6pm
· Leonville - Leonville Sewer Plant, 2992 Oscar Rivette Rd., Arnaudville. 8/27 until 6pm; Tuesday, 8/28 - 7am and as long as weather is permitting. *For in-town residents only.
· Opelousas - Yambilee Building, 1939 W. Landry St. Today, 8/27, 7:30am - 4pm
· Opelousas Residents - Tuesday, 8/28, 7:30am - 3:30pm. 15 sandbags per residential dwelling. City Street Department, 1045 S. Railroad St. (337) 948-2550. Sandbags will also be distributed at the Opelousas Police Department, 318 N. Court St.
· Port Barre - Fruit of the Loom Building, 17879 Hwy 190 - beginning Tuesday morning at 8am. This will be a self-fill station. It will operate from 8am - 4pm until further notice.
8. VERMILLION PARISH
SAND AND BAGS will be available at all Parish Barns and at the Public Works Department.
9. CITY OF SCOTT will be distributing sand bags at the Maintenance Building located at 118 Lions Club Road (across the street from City Hall) starting now until on Tuesday until 7 p.m. Residents living in the City of Scott within the corporate limits and must show I.D.
10. VILLE PLATTE will be distributing sand bags at the city barn located at 809 Hickory St. Residents may retrieve sand bags throughout the day weather permitting.
11. LAFAYETTE PARISH has activated FOUR sand bag sites that will open at noon today!! The locations are as follows: LCG North Dist Barn (130 Shantel Rd); LCG South District Barn (1017 Fortune Rd); George Dupuis Center (Brown Park - 1212 E. Pont Des Mouton Rd); The Robicheaux Center (Neyland Park 1919 Eraste Landry Rd) - - - Sand and Shovels will be provided.