Teen Bitten On Face By Water Moccasin He Kept On His Bed
A Florida teenager is recovering after he was bitten on the face by a water moccasin.
18-year-old Austin Hatfield caught the snake in his girlfriend's yard last week. Two days later, Hatfield was bitten on the face. One his friends, Jason Belcher, revealed that Hatfield kept the snake in a pillow case on his bed.
He took it out, put it on his chest and it was acting funny, and it jumped up and got him
The moccasin bit Hatfield on the mouth. After ripping the snake off of his face, he started to swell up immediately. The teen was in critical condition, but was later upgraded to good condition, according to Tampa General Hospital.
Hatfield's troubles extend beyond the snakebite, as he did not have a permit to possess the venomous reptile, and according to the FWC he captured the animal illegally.
People without the experience shouldn't be handling these types of animals. Any type of venomous reptile, besides posing a danger to himself, he could pose a danger to other people, injure other people, that's the whole reason that we have the [permitting] process
The snake was euthanized and brought to Tampa General to identify it and treat Hatfield's bite.