You Know You’re From Lafayette If… [UPDATED]
Gotta love Lafayette (and the surrounding Acadiana area). Its those little insiders-only things that make us who we are. The rest of the country may not understand this list, but if you're from here, ya know. Here's just a sampling of what makes us unique in Lafayette.
***UPDATES*** Since the original posting of this story:
- Olde Tyme Grocery has put in a system to use credit cards at their store. Now, it's even easier to get some of the best po-boys in town without having to stop and get cash first
- The Mall of Acadiana has reverted back to the original Acadiana Mall
- You “pass by” and “get down” at a store or friends house.
- You “save” the groceries/dishes/toys.
- You have at least 5 favorites of places that serve plate lunches
- You “put a crack” in the door/window.
- You don't need subtitles when watching 'Swamp People' on the History Channel
- You were there when the Cajuns beat Texas A&M (and you still have the bumper sticker to prove it.)
- You know how to spell and pronounce Kaliste Saloom, Feu Follet, Atchafalaya , Authement, Caillier, Verot, Breaux, DeRouen and Hebert.
- You still crave hamburgers from Burger Tyme and Mr. Cook (and remember where the stores were).
- You know what comes after 'Hello Acadiana,....'
- You can identify people not from here by the way they pronounce "Lafayette".
- You know never to try to order fries at Judice Inn.
- You recognize 'Roughnecks', 'Wildcatters', and 'Swampcats'
- Your idea of adding onto your house is to wall-in your carport.
- You know the days of the week by what plate lunch you are eating.
- Three words – Drive Through Daiquiris
- For the older people... 'I Believe in Lafayette' (motto during oil bust)
- You question the authenticity of food labeled as "Cajun" outside of the area.
- You can drive through town during Mardi Gras and not get stuck by barricades
- You follow drivers that speed and hit the breaks right before the red-light cameras catch em.
- You can successfully make left turns through the Johnston/Camellia intersection without having an aneurysm trying to figure out which lane to get in to cross.
- You can navigate through the Mall of Acadiana without using the maps.
- You know that you can't use credit cards at Old Tyme Grocery, but that it's worth it.
- You noticed that nearly half of this list dealt with food, and now you're hungry again.
- You noticed that Southeast and Southwest Evangeline Thruway roads are parallel