16 Louisiana Artists Nominated for 2021 Grammys
The 63rd annual Grammy Awards will be held this Sunday, March 14 at 7:00 pm from the Los Angeles Staples Center, and Louisiana is well represented.
A total of 16 Louisiana artists are nominated for 23 awards ranging in genres like New Orleans jazz, blues, Cajun, rap, country, and gospel.
One group representing Acadiana is the Cecilia-based trio Sweet Cecilia who are nominated in the Best Regional Roots Album category for their album, A Tribute to Al Berard.
Here is the complete list of all the Louisiana acts nominated for Grammys this year.
- Bobby Rush, Best Traditional Blues Album for Rawer Than Raw. Rush won the 2016 Grammy in this category and has a total of six nominations.
- Brian Blade, Best Jazz Instrumental Album (two nominations) for Trilogy 2 and RoundAgain. The Shreveport native is a three-time Grammy winner.
- Cameron Dupuy and the Cajun Troubadours, Best Regional Roots Album for Cameron Dupuy and the Cajun Troubadours.
- Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah, Best Improvised Jazz Solo for "Guinevere," and Best Contemporary Instrumental Album for Axiom.
- Harry Connick, Jr., Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album for True Love: A Celebration of Cole Porter. The New Orleans native has garnered 15 Grammy nominations over his career with three wins.
- Jay Electronica, Best Rap Album for A Written Testimony.
- John Beasley (four nominations), Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album for Monk'estra Plays John Beasley; Best Arrangement, Instrumental or A Cappella for "Donna Lee"; Best Arrangement, Instrument and Vocals for "Asas Fechadas" with Maria Mendes; and Best Jazz Vocal Album for Holy Room: Live at Alte Oper.
- Ledisi, Best Traditional R&B Performance for Anything For You. The New Orleans native is a 13-time Grammy nominee.
- Lucinda Williams, Best American Album for Good Souls Better Angels and Best American Roots Song for "Man Without a Soul." The Lake Charles native is a three-time Grammy winner with 17 career nominations.
- Luke James, Best R&B Album for To Feel Love/d.
- New Orleans Nightcrawlers, Best Regional Roots Album for Atmosphere.
- North Mississippi Allstars, Best Contemporary Blues Album for Up and Rolling. The late Carl Dufrene, a member of the band, was a Louisiana native.
- Social Science, Best Jazz Instrumental Album for Waiting Game. Band member Morgan Guerin is a New Orleans native.
- Sweet Cecilia, Best Regional Roots Album for A Tribute to Al Berard. The group consists of two daughters and the niece of the late Al Berard, himself a Grammy-nominated Cajun musician.