Don’t Forget COVID and Work Items in Your Hurricane Prep Kit
All of us along the Gulf Coast are paying close attention to the weather at this time of year. Atlantic Hurricane Season runs from June 1-November 30, so we should realistically have a game plan already in place for our family. But things are a little different this year, and some items may need to be added to your hurricane prep list.
The Southern University Agricultural Research and Extension Center have updated their emergency and hurricane preparations to include items that are needed during the COVID-19 pandemic, and also if you are someone who has to work during a hurricane.
Having an emergency prep kit at work, for people like me, is critical.
Some of their suggestions for workplaces include: making sure you have enough food, water, medicines and clothing to last at least 24 hours. (I always add candles in case the electricity goes out). You should also carry an emergency kit in your car that has has enough basic essentials to last in case you are stranded. Food, water, flashlight, blankets.
Their Hurricane Preparation during COVID-19 kit includes:
- Battery powered or hank crank radio
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to call for help)
- Prescription and non prescription medicines
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags, plastic ties
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities if needed)
- Manuel can opener
- Local maps
- Cell phone, chargers, backup battery
- Face masks for everyone 2 and above, hand sanitizer, soap, disinfecting wipes
- Extra contact lens solution and eyeglasses if needed
- Baby supplies if needed
- Pet supplies if needed
- Cash, travelers checks, important family documents, including insurance information. These need to be put in waterproof portable containers
- Sleeping bags, blankets
- Change of clothing and sturdy shoes
- Fire extinguisher, matches in waterproof container
- Feminine supplies, personal hygiene items
- Mess kit, or paper plates, utensils and napkins
- Paper and pen/pencil
- Books, games, toys, puzzles for the kids