The Louisiana Department of Health has issued a statement urging boaters and residents to avoid any algae on Lake Pontchartrain, and here's why...

The LDH says the algae to look out for and stay away from are blue, bright green, brown or red and can smell like rotting plants according to KATC.

The reason why is because according to the Louisiana Department of Health "exposure to the algae can cause rashes, stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting. Sometimes, high exposures of toxins associated with algae can affect the liver and nervous system."

The Louisiana Department of Health also warns that fish caught from Lake Pontchartrain should not be eaten during this algae bloom, and urge to keep pets away from the water as well.