List of Hurricane Emergency Phone Numbers & Resources
While it's never any fun going through a major storm, it's good to know that in 2020 there are so many more resources to help keep you safe than years ago.
Below is a handy list of hurricane emergency numbers, alerts, and resources should you need before, during, or after the storm. (This list is from Lafayette Consolidated Government but has a lot of information that will help residents from all over Acadiana.)
*Dial 311 to report LUS Outages and Street Flooding and Drainage Issues
- Option 1 - LUS Power and Water Outages
- Option 2 - LUS Fiber Outages
- Option 3 - Street Flooding and Drainage Issues
*Should 311 become overloaded:
- Dial 337-291-9200 for power outages
- 337-291-5700 for downed power lines or other electrical issues
SLEMCO Power Outages
- State Police - Report Roadway Emergencies
- Dial *LSP (*577) on your cell phone or call 800-469-4828
- Dial 511 (or 888-ROAD-511) use the "Louisiana 511" app, or visit 511la.org for continual updates about weather-related road conditions, road closures and other travel information.
Alert Notification Apps
- Connect Lafayette: Lafayette Consolidated Government's information and notification system. Sign up at https://lafayettecityparish.bbcportal.com/
- NOAA Weather Radar Live: Real-time radar images and severe weather alerts.
- Way to Geaux App: The app provides drivers with around the clock, real-time traffic notifications and road condition updates. Set your destination and the app will automatically send alerts to your smartphone while traveling on interstates, U.S. and and state highways.
- Alert FM App: ALERT FM aggregates state and local emergency alerts and messages, including National Weather Service warnings, evacuation information, homeland security notices.
- Red Cross Hurricane App: Monitor conditions, find help and let others know you are safe.
Dial 211 or visit louisiana211.org
- Call 211 for disaster resources. Specialists are available 24/7 before, during and after the storm. Services are multilingual and are accessible to the hearing impaired.
- Callers can access disaster information about food, clothing shelters, special needs, evacuation routes, transportation assistance, crisis counseling, prescription assistance, missing persons post-disaster, rebuilding assistance and more.
American Red Cross, Acadiana Chapter, Lafayette
- 337-234-7371, https://www.redcross.org/
- Listing of all shelters currently open and registered through FEMA and NSS. The listing is not limited to Red Cross shelters. The website is updated every four hours.
United Way of Acadiana, Lafayette
- Disaster Relief, 337-233-8302
Second Harvest Food Bank
- 337-237-7711, https://no-hunger.org/