Obama: Sony ‘Made A Mistake’ By Canceling “The Interview” [VIDEO]
President Barack Obama called out Sony, saying that he believes they "made a mistake" by canceling 'The Interview' after being threatened by North Korean-backed hackers.
Obama understood why they made the decision but was very clear in his disapproval of their decision to yank the film.
I am sympathetic to the concerns that they face. Having said all that, yes, I think they made a mistake. Let's not get into that way of doing business.
His statement came just hours after the FBI confirmed that North Korea is responsible for the cyberattack that Sony Pictures is dealing with—an attack that Sony execs are calling "the worst cyberattack in American history."
Sony Entertainment CEO Michael Lynton fired back at Obama's comments in a CNN interview, saying his company didn't make a mistake and that people aren't fully aware of "what actually happened."
We have not caved, we have not given in, we have persevered, and we haven to backed down. We have always had the desire to have the American public see this movie
Lynton went on to say the company made the decision to squash the movie's Dec. 25 release after major movie theater companies told Sony they would not show the film.
Some have suggested an on-demand release, but Lynton says that so far, no major distributors or streaming services have offered to carry "The Interview."
Do you think Sony made a mistake by canceling the release?