Home Preparation Tips for Sub-Freezing Weather
Well, they told us it's gonna get cold. How cold? Below freezing for an extended period of time. It's that time to prepare the outside of your home for the upcoming cold. We've got a few tips for preparing your home, car and plants to make sure you don't wake up with a real problem on your hands.
- Clean your gutters and downspouts before cold weather arrives to prevent ice from forming in them.
- Spray an ice repellent solution on steps and walks before freezing weather arrives
- Check antifreeze levels in cars. Add if needed, then run the engine to circulate the new antifreeze through the radiator and engine block.
- Add freeze resistant windshield wiper fluid, and spay to circulate it in lines.
- Check air pressure in tires, since cold weather causes the pressure to lower.
- Bring in container plants, add mulch around plants, and cover plants that are prone to frost damage. Remove covering when temperatures warm above freezing.