NFL Issues Vague Statement on Rumor Jay-Z Turned Down 2018 Super Bowl Performance
Earlier this week, it was reported JAY-Z had turned down an offer to perform during the halftime show of the 2018 Super Bowl. Now, the NFL seems to be dismissing the claim.
In a statement, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said the league hasn't decided on a performer yet. “No decisions have been made on the performer(s) and we are not going to speculate on particular artists,” McCarthy said. “Along with Pepsi, we know that we will put on a spectacular show. When it is time to announce her name we will do it. Or his name. Or their names.”
Whether Hov actually turned down the offer remains to be seen, but him not performing does make sense. The 4:44 rapper recently showed his support for free agent NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick. While performing at the Meadows Music and Arts Festival on Sept. 15, the rapper dedicated "The Story of O.J." to the quarterback, as well as late activist and comedian Dick Gregory.
In related JAY-Z news, the "Moonlight" artist will reportedly meet with Kanye West soon to potentially put an end to their ongoing Tidal dispute. According to a report from TMZ, the two rappers will meet face-to-face.
Jay recently spoke about his feud with Kanye, saying he took issue with Yeezy mentioning his wife and kids during a 2016 concert rant. "We’ve gotten past bigger issues," said JAY-Z. "But you brought my family into it, now it’s a problem with me. That’s a real, real problem.”
XXL has reached out to Roc Nation for comment.
See Photos of JAY-Z's Different Looks Over the Years